More details of what we do
- Develop ways that researchers across Europe can access, store, transfer and analyse large amounts of life science data. See the Compute Platform.
- Identify key data resources across Europe and support the linkages between data and literature e.g. by making it easier to move from a scientific paper to the dataset that the paper was based on. See the Data Platform.
- Provide ways for researchers to find the best software to analyse their data. See the Tools Platform.
- Establish Europe-wide standards that can be used to describe life science data. This makes different data sets easier to compare and analyse. See the Interoperability Platform.
- Help scientists and developers find the training they need, and also provide that training. See the Training Platform.
- Develop ways that sensitive data from biomedical research can be discovered and accessed by scientists. See the Human Data Use Case.
- Work with researchers, clinicians and industry to promote the development of new therapies for rare diseases. See the Rare Diseases Use Case.
- Develop standards, databases, tools and training to help those studying the genetic material sampled from the sea. See the Marine Metagenomics Use Case.
- Develop standards and tools to help those studying the genetics of crops and trees. See the Plant Sciences Use Case.
What are 'Platforms' and 'Use Cases'?
The scientific and technical activities in ELIXIR are run by five Platforms and four Use Cases. Platforms bring together experts to define the strategy and provide services in a particular area e.g. training, data. Use Cases bring together scientists who work in a specific domain (e.g. Plant Sciences). These scientists develop services targeted for their own domains. They also give feedback on the services the Platforms provide, to make sure that the services solve real world problems. See Platforms and Use Cases.
The scientific direction of ELIXIR is laid out in the Scientific Programme 2014-18 and in annual Work Plans. The Work Plans describe the activities that take place in each year.