We currently have an exciting project-based vacancy to join ELIXIR in the role of Industry Officer as part of the ELIXIR Hub (central office), based on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge, UK.
The main purpose of this role is implement, monitor and review ELIXIR’s Industry strategy, which drives engagement with the private sector. This will include running ELIXIR’s successful Innovation and SME programme, a series of bespoke networking events for local industry users, hosted by ELIXIR Nodes across Europe. The role will include representing ELIXIR on industry-related activities within two current Horizon 2020 projects - ELIXIR-EXCELERATE and CORBEL – with an expectation of engaging in industry-related activities on future external grants awarded to ELIXIR.
This is a demanding and exciting role where opportunities for new projects will emerge constantly. You will work closely with ELIXIR Nodes, understanding their current industry engagement activities and seeking new opportunities to collaborate with industry initiatives, ensuring that industry can benefit from the services coordinated by ELIXIR.
- Implement, monitor and review ELIXIR’s Industry Strategy
- Develop effective communication channels between ELIXIR and industry
- Outreach to key industry organisations and initiatives such as EFPIA, IMI and others
- Run ELIXIR’s Innovation and SME programme developing in collaboration with ELIXIR Nodes
- Represent ELIXIR in external meetings and conferences focussed on industry, giving presentations to a variety of audiences
- Engage SME associations and regional clusters across Europe
- Support ELIXIR’s Industry Advisory Committee through the preparation of discussion papers, committee documents and follow up actions
- As appropriate, contribute to the development of new industry-related proposals for funding agencies.
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate will have:
- A university degree, ideally in the field of life-science, computer science, or another scientific, technical or engineering discipline.
- An interest and experience of bioinformatics environments (a plus though not a pre-requisite).
- Experience of working in industry or in environments that have included close industry collaboration is highly desirable.
- Experience of working on industry-academia collaboration projects (such as through the Innovative Medicines Initiative).
- Confidence in developing and delivering talks and presentations to external stakeholders.
- A high level of literacy with excellent written and oral communication skills in English
As the post-holder you will be:
- A motivated self-starter with a proven ability to effectively collaborate and deliver within a high-paced professional and multinational team-environment.
- Excellent at networking and have the ability to build relations with various stakeholders.
This will be a busy role with frequently changing priorities so it is essential that you are able to:
- Set objectives and plan work independently based on agreed outcomes
- Meet deadlines and manage priorities to handle a heavy workload
- Work to a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- When required, work outside normal office hours and travel to ELIXIR Nodes and stakeholder meetings
As an inter-governmental organisation, ELIXIR offers an attractive financial package and a number of benefits for families and non-residents. Our special legal status means that ELIXIR Hub staff are not affected by Brexit (https://www.elixir-europe.org/news/status-elixir-following-uks-decision-...), and we offer exemption from UK immigration restrictions to those applying from outside the EU.
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV, with two referees, through our online system.
- Applications are welcome from all nationalities - visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
- ELIXIR is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
- This position is limited to the project duration specified.
- Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed.