Working in the External Relations team of ELIXIR, the Administrative Officer will oversee the administration activities relevant to the effective operation of ELIXIR’s governance structures and provide support to internal communications within ELIXIR. This will include undertaking the following duties:
- Organising the drafting of the agenda for ELIXIR’s governance committee meetings, keeping records of the meetings organised and scheduling future meetings.
- Overseeing and contributing to the preparation of documentation for the ELIXIR Board, other governance committees and other ad-hoc Working Groups.
- Minute taking at ELIXIR Governance committees, Working Groups and internal meetings to the ELIXIR Hub.
- Managing documentation systems to ensure that actions arising from meetings are captured carried out in a timely manner and hard copies of contracts and agreements are archived.
- Drafting letters to ELIXIR stakeholders and government officials, and preparation of responses to other enquiries as required.
- Overseeing the process for the preparation of Collaboration Agreements with ELIXIR Nodes.
- Maintaining ELIXIR contact lists and internal email distribution lists
- Preparation of correspondence with ELIXIR partners, including weekly updates (in close collaboration with ELIXIR’s Communication Officer).
- Assisting the External Relations team with maintaining the ELIXIR website and the preparation and distribution of other ELIXIR promotional material for use at conferences.
- Representing ELIXIR at conferences (where required).
- Administration of the monthly webinar series.
- Any other tasks required to support the effective operation of ELIXIR’s governance structures.
Qualifications and Experience
- You will have the following knowledge and competencies:
- Ideally you would be educated to degree level in biology or a related discipline. However, those with A-level qualifications and relevant experience may be considered. Previous experience of performing administrative tasks in an academic or research environment, for example, in administering EU-funded projects. Alternatively, experience of supporting governance structures in other sectors (such as local or central government, NGOs) would be considered.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential as well as the ability to work within an international, dynamic, and challenging environment. You must be able to independently plan and manage several activities concurrently, be tenacious yet diplomatic and possess good attention to detail.
- Proficiency with standard desktop applications including Internet Explorer, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel, Google Docs and Google Drive and online teleconference and video conferencing facilities. Experience managing email lists would be beneficial.
- Advanced English essential, particularly writing skills for minute taking and drafting of official correspondence. Other languages would be useful but are not essential.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation.
Our special legal status means that ELIXIR Hub staff are not affected by Brexit, and we offer exemption from UK immigration restrictions to those applying from outside the EU.
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the large-scale international collaborations in the high-paced field of life science data and the opportunity for international contacts with partners in our 21 member states – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV, with two referees, through our online system.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities - visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL and ELIXIR are committed to gender balance and equal opportunities for all and strongly encourages applications from women. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
The initial contract is for a period of three years with the possibility of a fixed-term extension.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.