- ELIXIR Board: the highest decision-making body in ELIXIR. It is made up of Scientific and Administrative representatives from the Member States and approves ELIXIR’s scientific programme and budget.
- Scientific Advisory Board (SAB): advises the Board on ELIXIR's scientific strategy and reviews ELIXIR Node applications. The SAB also advises on the ethical, legal and social implications (ELSI) of ELIXIR’s work.
- Industry Advisory Committee: gives advice and guidance on ELIXIR's industry strategy.
- Heads of Nodes Committee: The HoN committee develops ELIXIR’s scientific and technical strategy, including the development of ELIXIR’s scientific programmes. The HoN committee comprises the Head of each ELIXIR Node.
The Director is responsible to the ELIXIR Board for implementing ELIXIR's scientific programme. The Director chairs the Heads of Node’s Committee and is responsible for managing the ELIXIR Hub secretariat.
Handbook of Operations
The Handbook of Operations provides information on the governance structure of ELIXIR, as well as its procedures and policies.
The legal framework of ELIXIR is based on the ELIXIR Consortium Agreement (ECA), which has been concluded among the Member States and EMBL and officially entered into force on 12 January 2014. The ECA covers:
- ELIXIR’s mission
- ELIXIR's membership
- The obligations of the Members and the ELIXIR Hub
- The governance structure between the ELIXIR Hub and the ELIXIR Nodes
- The internal governance structure of the ELIXIR Hub itself
Based on the ECA, EMBL carries out activities on behalf of ELIXIR that require EMBL’s legal personality. This allows ELIXIR to take advantage of EMBL’s privileges and immunities. EMBL is an international treaty organisation with 20 Member States and one associate Member State. You can find out more about ELIXIR's legal and governance model on the Governance FAQs page. See also How countries join and establish a Node.