The ELIXIR Governance structure is defined in the ELIXIR Consortium Agreement.
- ELIXIR Board: the highest decision-making body in ELIXIR.
- Scientific Advisory Board (SAB): advises the Board on ELIXIR's scientific strategy and reviews ELIXIR Node applications.
- Industry Advisory Committee: gives advice and guidance on industry needs.
- Director: responsible to the ELIXIR Board for implementing ELIXIR's scientific programme.
- Heads of Nodes Committee: consists of the Director and the heads of the ELIXIR national infrastructures (Nodes). The Committee develops ELIXIR’s scientific and technical strategy, including its scientific programmes.
- Platforms: ELIXIR has five operational platforms: Data, Tools, Compute, Interoperability and Training. Each platform is led by a leadership team agreed by the Heads of Nodes Committee. The Platform membership consists of task leads, technical staff and a Platform Coordinator. Each Platform Coordinator provides support to the Platform leaders and ensures that the Platform's activities are aligned to its goals.
- Use Cases: ELIXIR currently has four scientific Use Cases funded through the ELIXIR-EXCELERATE project: Marine Metagenomics, Plants, Rare Disease and Human Data.
- Coordinator groups
- The Technical Coordinators Group (TeCG) is comprised of technical representatives from each ELIXIR Node. The group identifies gaps and promotes connections among Nodes and Platforms. It is the responsibility of the TeCG to explore technical opportunities and issues aiming to provide advice and recommendations. The TeCG is connected with Platforms through Node technical representatives actively involved in the implementation of Platforms.
- The Training Coordinators Group (TrCG) is composed of training representatives of each of the ELIXIR Nodes. TrCG meets regularly to share information, expertise and to coordinate and lead the implementation of the ELIXIR training strategy across Europe.
Handbook of Operations
The Handbook of Operations provides information on the governance structure of ELIXIR, as well as its procedures and policies.
Based on the ECA, EMBL carries out activities on behalf of ELIXIR that require EMBL’s legal personality. This allows ELIXIR to take advantage of EMBL’s privileges and immunities. EMBL is an international treaty organisation with 20 Member States and one associate Member State. You can find out more about ELIXIR's legal and governance model on the Governance FAQs page.