Stable funding is needed to safeguard biological data and ensure access by researchers. Securing this funding will be an ongoing endeavour shared by all ELIXIR members.
ELIXIR will be coordinated from its Hub which is jointly funded by contributions from its member states. Legally, ELIXIR is a Special Project of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), and benefits from existing administrative and legal structures. ELIXIR's structure, legal and financial model will be determined by the Interim ELIXIR Board. The ELIXIR budget will be ring-fenced from other EMBL activities, and the ELIXIR Executive Management will report to the ELIXIR Board on the use of the budget.
ELIXIR's Nodes are sited at existing centres of excellence in participating countries throughout Europe. They are funded through national contributions.
The benefits of ELIXIR
Countries that become ELIXIR member states will benefit from:
- enhanced exploitation of the data produced by their investments in biomedical research
- optimisation of the value of data by rapid and timely translation into other sectors such as clinical, agricultural and environment research
- enhanced competitiveness through European coordination
- enhanced bioinformatics capabilities and expertise within their funded communities
- facilitation of coherent strategic planning of their resource deployment.
The plan for securing funding that was developed during the preparatory phase is described in the ELIXIR Business Case.