ELIXIR for industry
A technological revolution is underway, and few commercial organisations are equipped to manage the challenges posed by the data deluge alone. This is true both for large corporations and small to medium-sized enterprises (SMEs).
Companies today are faced with static or shrinking information system budgets and manpower. Consequently, many are welcoming opportunities for pre-competitive IP projects.
ELIXIR supports open innovation, and promotes the adoption of widely adopted standards. This reduces barriers between information sharing and helps facilitate cross-company research partnerships.
In consultation with industry, ELIXIR is developing its vision for ensuring that ELIXIR's services meet industry's needs will be presented.
ELIXIR and the Innovation Union
ELIXIR will deliver the backbone for new discoveries that address and meet the grand challenges and, in doing so, will:
- spur economic development and innovation, and thus create new, knowledge-intensive, highly skilled jobs
- generate opportunities to increase Europe’s knowledge-based industry and competitiveness, by supporting the success of innovative small to medium-sized biotech enterprises
- attract world-leading scientists to Europe (increase “brain gain”) and retain key expertise (stem “brain drain”)
- increase the application of new innovations in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries, as well as in agriculture and environmental protection
- safeguard the investment that nations have already made in funding biological research by ensuring that data are safely kept, and openly accessed by everyone.